Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

Skywatch Friday - The Photo Story of a Spectacular Sunset on Cherai Beach

Cherai is a beautiful beach near Kochi, relatively clean, and not too crowded. We spent a few days there during our summer vacation, and, instead of the simmering heat and calm sea, we found heavy rain and huge waves that lashed at the shore! While this did restrict our time in the water, the sky put up a beautiful show for us every day...a different one each day. Here is one of the most spectacular sunsets we saw. Honestly, I didn't know where to look.... At the clouds as they gathered, or at the sun which changed its look every minute, or at the sea, with its frothy reflections of the sun and the clouds, or at the changing colours in the sky.. Let me leave the descriptions aside, and allow you to see for yourself, one of the most spectacular sunsets I have ever seen!

It all began with the clouds gathering...

...distorting the sun, which still managed to shine!
Then, the colours began to change, as the sun seemed to move faster, towards the horizon

For a moment, the sun appeared in all its glory, a perfect circle, as a cloud streaked through....


It was a spectacular sight indeed!
As the sun continued its downward journey, the light seemed to change all the times, as the clouds changed in  the sky... even the sand seemed to reflect the fading light, from the thin layer of water left behind by the receding waves!

The last glimpses of the sun, as it seemed to merge with the water, was too beautiful a sight to describe

Can you see the sun here, almost at the verge of disappearance? 

Even as the sun disappeared from sight, the colours just seemed to be more beautiful, and I couldn't help clicking... the patterns of the clouds changed too, appearing more interesting than ever!

Even as the sky darkened, the clouds continued the show, with their ever-changing patterns and colours keeping us hooked!



I have only posted a few photos among the whole lot that I took, but, if, after you see them, you would like to see more, here is a video you can sit back and enjoy!





Fore more beautiful skies from around the world, visit the Skywatch Page!

Comments

  1. Wow -- gorgeous shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a breathtaking sunset and your captures are awesome!!! Thank you so much for sharing the beauty!! Have a great weekend!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is spectacular, especially the one in which the cloud 'slice' the Sun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely colors on a beautiful sky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome series. Breath taking moment indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A truly spectacular series of shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, there's no way to pick just one as a favorite! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Natalie! Now you know why I chose to post so many of these pics! just couldnt choose!

      Delete
  8. Anuradha, These are gorgeous pictures. I couldn't resist but to republish here http://www.explorex.in/get-along/skywatch-friday-the-photo-story-of-a-spectacular-sunset-on-cherai-beach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These shots are gorgeous. Kerala is always one among the most beautiful places in India.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed the sun set video. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Your pictures really do justice to the sunset at Cherai. I live near there so I visit it often. Good job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

Popular posts from this blog

Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

Rama Temple, Gokarna

To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

Pandharpur Yatra 2023

The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie