Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

St. Philomena's Church, Mysore

The twin spires of the church towering over the trees and the houses grab my attention, and my auto driver tells me it is the St. Philomena’s Church. “You have been in Mysore for a week and haven’t seen it yet?” he exclaims, and proceeds to rectify my grave error in not paying a visit to this landmark of Mysore.




“Don’t miss the crypt” he insists, as he drops me outside, and later, after parking his vehicle, follows me to make sure I have seen all there is to see. It is evident that he is proud of this church, and, as I soon realize, he has due reason to be.



The St. Philomena’s Church is one of the largest churches in India, and it was first built in 1843 to serve the British officers stationed at Mysore and Srirangapatna. That was a simple, wooden structure, which lasted over a century, before plans were laid down for a new, majestic structure in 1933. The present church, completed in 1936, was designed by the French architect, Daly, in the Neo Gothic style, and is modelled after the Cologne Cathedral in Germany.



The church is dedicated to St. Philomena, a Grecian Princess who was martyred in the 4th century. It is said that she was the daughter of a Greek monarch, born after much prayer. As a child, she was very pious, and showed signs of greatness. When she was 13, her parents took her to Rome to obtain the favour of the Emperor, who, as it turned out, was enamoured by her beauty and wished to marry her. She refused, choosing instead to dedicate herself to God. As a result, she was imprisoned, tortured, and eventually, beheaded, in Rome. Her relics were found centuries later in one of the Roman catacombs, and, in 1926, Thamboo Chetty, the secretary of the Maharaja of Mysore, obtained one of these relics to house in the church by her name.



Inside the church is the altar with a statue of the saint, and an idol of Christ. Above the altar are beautiful stained glass windows from France, depicting stories from the Bible.  Near the altar are steps which lead us to the crypt below, where the relics of the saint are preserved. Walking into the crypt is an eerie experience, but a memorable one. The casket containing the relics seems to exude its aura, enveloping visitors, believers and non-believers alike. The names of the thousands whose remains lie interred all around, seem to call out their stories. I find myself wondering who they were, and what stories they could tell me, if only I could find a way to listen to them.


Emerging from the crypt into the sunshine, I take a deep breath, and strain to look up at the high turrets of the church. The sun glints over the stone and the glass, and I am happy I made this detour.

It is an interesting church indeed – dedicated to a Greek saint, built by a French architect, for the British soldiers, in the German style, paid for by a Hindu king!



Information:
  • Location: The church is located about 3 Km from the Mysore Bus stand and 2 Km from the Mysore Palace.

  • Timings: The church is open from 5 AM to 6 PM, every day. Mass is held every morning and evening, and special masses are held on Sundays and festivals.
  • Entry is free.
  • Photography is allowed outside, but not inside the church


Comments

  1. Love this Gothic church though I have not been there. Nice post on it with all those details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Niranjan! Next time you are in Mysore, you should certainly go there!

      Delete
  2. Hi, We're having summer vacation trip in Mysore with family on may of this year and I'm so exited to visit there in church. We want to visit there in the evening so I would be glad If you suggest me that there is any bus are available in evening from bus stand or can I get any taxi or other vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Seema, I am sure there are plenty of buses from the main city bus stand, but plenty of autos and taxis are also easily available from anywhere in the city.

      Delete
  3. This church appears to bring an European flavour in India. It is amazing how the churches built in the Neo Gothic style seem to resemble each other very much, and yet they are so different. It would be nice to go on a holiday and visit different famous churches around the world, or to visit various churches across the same country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photographs of the Church. Last week I had been there and had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

Popular posts from this blog

Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

Rama Temple, Gokarna

To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

Pandharpur Yatra 2023

The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie